Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Take too long to act...act to quickly..there is a fine line

Today is my 2nd blog...I would like to report on my initial goal of working out Mon-Fri this week at 5am day two is complete. It feels good to start the day off with achieving a goal.

The title of my blog comes from an experience I dealt with yesterday. I was assigned a task on Friday for my Director, which I was extremely motivated and excited about. I worked on it some over the weekend but try to dedicate that time to my wife and friends. So then came yesterday.

Reviewed the task with the Director (who I am learning a lot from) and came up with changes that needed to be completed by our presentation time of 9am today. Having no second thoughts I went into action. Chasing down all the resources I needed yesterday to make the changes. I finished around 11pm last night.

This morning I received a note that we are going to utilize a different deck and that we would use my changes as backup.

I was frustrated but probably not why you think.

I was frustrated at myself because I sprang right into action once the task and changes requested were given to me....what I should have done is stopped and think for 10-20 minutes.

Go into solitude to really analyze what you need to get accomplished and how "best" to get it accomplished. Don't take too long to act...but don't act to quickly.

Had I given 20 minutes to thought I would have remembered that a colleague of mine had been working on a much bettter deck that we are ultimately utilizing. I could have worked off that deck and saved probably half a day. Lesson learned.

My strength is I act very quickly with calculated risk...my development area is at times I need to STOP...think for a bit in solitude and then act.

Know your stregnths and focus on developing your weaknesses.

Moving forward my lesson for the day will be outlined in bold blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment